Thursday, October 23, 2014

Chess Bars

So, really all I want to post about is my sweet baby (and I'll do another Caleb post soon) but since I'm way behind on recipes, I suppose I should post another recipe. 
This was made way back in April...when I was still pregnant but didn't look it yet.  WOW!  David likes chocolate and I like chess pie, so I decided to try this recipe for chocolate chess pie...but made it into bars.  It ended up being super sticky and pretty chocolatey...but still tasted good.  I just used my mom's pie recipe, subbing gluten free flour mix.
 Kate helped me and got to use the pastry knife for the first time.  Her little four year old hands were quite coordinated enough to get a good mix but she had fun. You can make this a pie or bars.  if doing bars, simply put into a square cake pan.

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Chess Bars adapted from It's All About a Good Recipe
 
2 eggs
½ cup gluten free flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
For Pie Crust: 
 1 cup gluten free flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 T water
1/3 cup shortening
Sift flour and salt into bowl. Remove 1/4 cup flour and blend to a paste. Cut shortening into remaining flour until pieces are size of small peas. Add paste to flour mixture. Mix with fork until dough comes together and can be shaped into a ball (this is best done by putting a piece of saran wrap over the bowl, dumping it, and pressing the dough together.) Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. (Roll out crust to 1/8 inch thick to cover 9-inch pie pan)
Preheat oven to 325.  Prepare crust as above but press into square pan if doing bars. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl on high until foamy.  Beat in flour , white sugar and brown sugar then add softened butter.  It will start to look like a batter, stir in the chocolate chips! Pour into unbaked pie crust and place on a cookie sheet then place in oven. Bake 55-60 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before you slice!

No comments: