Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Manly Pancakes

Ever since David decided to do an essentially gluten free diet, he has told me that he wanted to try buckwheat pancakes.  He thought they sounded "manly!"  Well, try as I might, I couldn't find buckwheat flour.  Sure, I found buckwheat pancake mix...but it wasn't gluten free.  Then, we had a Whole Foods open.  I finally made it by and found the buckwheat flour...which IS gluten free.  Then I had to go in search of a recipe.  I was originally going to use this one.  However, some of the ingredients seemed a bit "further" than I wanted to go. So, I ended up just modifying my dad's recipe.  It turned out pretty good!  You definitely need to refrigerate any leftovers.  The color is a bit shocking, but the taste is pretty good.  Only a mild change in flavor from regular flour, in my opinion.  And most importantly, David liked them.  We've had them one other time since.

Buckwheat Pancakes
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon oil
vanilla

Place griddle on medium heat and heat pan until a drop of water sizzles.  In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk (or regular if preferred), oil and vanilla (I do about 1 tsp).  Then add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir with a fork until incorporated.  If it is too thick, add some (regular or almond) milk to thin it out.  Using a 1/4-1/3 cup measure, pour batter onto hot griddle.  Allow to cook until bubbles come to the top and break, then flip.  Cook until done (not long!).  Enjoy!




No comments: