Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Birthday Dessert

So, this is how far behind I am on posting.  Back in February when I turned 31, David made me a really yummy frozen strawberry dessert. 
I picked it because he had said he thought it looked good, it was (roughly) gluten free, and sounded good to me, too.  Um, can we just say I LOVED this!  I think I ate it almost every night until it was gone.  one night I had it for supper.  And one night I had two pieces.  I blame being in first trimester of pregnancy on that one!  :-)
 I say "roughly" gluten because we did use Nature Valley granola bars which are labeled gluten free but also don't have wheat as an ingredient.  This works for us, though it may not work for you.  I think K had a good time banging the bars!  :-)

Frozen Strawberry Crunch Cake from Tablespoon
  • 1 box Nature Valley Granola Bars
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour (gluten free if needed)
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups freshly chopped strawberries
  • Directions

    Preheat oven to 350.  Unwrap all granola bars.  Place them in a bag and bang to a course crumb (or use your food processor ut kids love the slamming part!). In a large bowl, add the crumbs, brown sugar, flour and melted butter and mix together. 
    Then spread into an 8x8-inch pan that has been covered with parchment paper. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes. Let cool. Then divide in half and set aside.
     
    Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine eggs whites and sugar and mix on high. Add the heavy cream and continue mixing for another 5 minutes.  After this, add the lemon juice and cream cheese then mix on low until well mixed.  Fold strawberries into this mixture.
     
    In a buttered glass pan, press half crumbs on the bottom.  Top with strawberry mixture and then press the remaining crumbs on top.  Cover and place in freezer for 3 hours or more.  Enjoy!

    No comments: