Saturday, April 21, 2012

Retreat and Caramel Cake

Whew!  We just got back from the pediatric department spring retreat.  It is a fun weekend of being away from the hospital, hanging out with each other, door prizes, etc....except that this year I was one of the people in charge of planning, purchasing, facilitating, and telling all the residents about the new things that are (possibly) happening next year.  I think it was a success but am glad that it is done.  Also done is the schedule for the 2012-2013 year for 47 residents....it took about 12 hours but we finished it in a day.  ALL of that to explain why there has been a lack of posting this past week or so!  I have been cooking, though.  Today, however, I wanted to share the recipe for the birthday cake that D made for me...in addition to the cake he made to take to Sunday school on my birthday.  He did LOTS of research!  I think he would have made strawberry but I had just made this one for Sarah a few weeks before.  I told him no chocolate and he complied...with a caramel (!!!!) cake! 
It was delicious!  I went to his house on my birthday and we had a yummy dinner of grilled salmon and squash.  Then followed with homemade yellow cake with caramel icing and ice cream...then presents, which K helped me open! 
I was COMPLETELY spoiled!  D said he wasn't sure if he cooked the icing long enough and we both decided (after having another caramel cake somewhere else) that he could have cooked it longer but that it was still GREAT!  Here's a very belated thank you for a great birthday!  :-)

30 minute Yellow Cake from Southern Hospitality Cookbook
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients in a bowl until blended.  Spray a 13X9 pan with cooking spray.  Pour batter into prepared pan and "bake until done."  I'm assuming about 30 minutes based on the title of the cake but I would check around 25 minutes and test with a cake tester or knife.  Cook until it comes out clean!

Caramel Frosting
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the sugar and salt, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Add milk and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Cook longer if you want a richer caramel.  Remove from the heat and cool.  Pour mixture into a mixing bowl then add vanilla and powdered sugar.  Stir on low to moisten then blend on high for 2 minutes.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Talking of birthday cake, you might like this Janet Evanovich quote Evanovich quote

OleMissBabyDoc, M.D. said...

Scheduling - I'll be in the NICU in Aug, wards in Sept, pER in Oct, peds Surg in Feb and peds GI in March. Just in case you were wondering ;)