Friday, January 06, 2012

Mama's Meatloaf

One day last month I sent my mom an e-mail asking for her meatloaf recipe.  Her response..."What have you done with my daughter?"  Ha!  I wouldn't normally make meatloaf for myself, but it's one of D's favorite...so I wanted to make some for him.  Honestly, I think the best part about meatloaf is the sauce and this one has a really yummy sauce.  It uses tomato soup instead of ketchup and is, in my opinion, delicious! 

Mama says that she has had trouble with this staying together, but mine stayed together pretty well.  I didn't add any extra liquid (which the recipe does call for) and was sure to drain any excess fat off before topping it with the sauce for the last 15minutes of cooking.  Daddy likes it with mashed potatoes and English peas.  I don't like English peas, so we had roasted potatoes (apparently a new favorite!) and broccoli.  Now for a game...guess which plate is mine and which is D's!  :-) 
Though I wouldn't normally make meatloaf for myself, I think this arrangement will work.  I make meatloaf and my chosen veggie.  He takes the leftover meatloaf home with him and I keep the veggies for me!  Deal!

Mama's Meatloaf
1 lb ground beef (I used 85% lean)
1 egg
8 crackers crumbled (I used about 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs)
1 medium onion, chopped
little bell pepper, chopped (about 1/3)
salt and pepper
1/4 can tomato soup (you'll use the rest of the can for the sauce)
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together (use your hands!), put into a loaf pan and then into the oven.  Bake for one hour.  At one hour, take the pan out of the oven and pour off excess fat.  The top with the prepared sauce (see below).  Bake for 15 more minutes. 
 
Sauce
3/4 can tomato soup
2 T. yellow mustard
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. vinegar (didn't have this)
1 T. worchestershire
1/2 cup water

No comments: