Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Donuts with Toddlers

I got some donut pans from a friend for Christmas.  This weekend, I decided that it would be fun to try them out with K.  So, I took my baking supplies and we cooked.  This recipe is definitely a cake donut but it's still pretty good.  D liked them and apparently, so did the people in clinic.  The thing about making donuts with a toddler, is that you may have some unexpected challenges!  First we mixed the dry ingredients. 
K did great with waiting when I asked her to...then had fun stirring!  I added the oil after she put the milk in.  Then we stirred some more. 
I used a tablespoon to put the batter into the pans while K licked the spoon!  After letting the donuts bake and cool.  I made a simple glaze as well as a chocolate topping of melted chocolate chips.  I showed K how to dip the donuts...then she tried...
but tragedy occurred!  Glaze dripped onto her hand...it was all over then! 
But chocolate topping to the rescue and soon all was good with the world. 

She tasted...
then shared with me...
then ate the rest! 
Such a fun baking activity. Would do it again.  Might even try Splenda next time. 

Baked Cake Donuts
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon oil

Preheat oven to 425.  Spray donut baking pan with cooking spray.  In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Stir in buttermilk, egg, and oil.  Stir until just combined.  Fill the donut pan 1/2 full.  Bake for 4-6 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.  Cool.  Top with glaze or chocolate (or desired glaze).

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Those are the cutest photos ever! I give you kudos for baking with a toddler ... they are a handful!

Erica said...

So fun! I love it! Hey- you won my Lassi giveaway! I emailed you but it kicked back at me. Can you send me your address? Itzyskitchen at gmail dot com

sarah (SHU) said...

hi claire! just FYI, you WON the $100 spa finder gift card giveaway from last month!!! i just emailed you and responded to the spam filter so wanted to make sure you would get it. awesome!!

OleMissBabyDoc, M.D. said...

I love this - all of it! What a little blessing in your life :)