Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Slow as Molasses

So, I'm on the last day of six WONDERFUL days off.  They have actually gone by fairly slowly...in SUCH a good way!  The strange thing about being a resident is that when I have more than 2 days off in a row, I feel like I've been away from the hospital for AGES; sometimes this even happens when I have only one day off.  You just get used to working every single day.  Is that bad?!  ;-)  Anyway, I've had a great bread but wish that it could be just a few days longer.  Alas, it cannot! 

While my parents were here, I decided to try a new recipe from my Southern Living Cookie cookbook.  My dad loves molasses cookies and there was one in here I needed to try.  I almost made it completely wrong but actually read the directions before I got started!  Good thing!  This recipe works a bit differently than normal but I think it gives great results.  First, you melt the shortening and then stir in all the wet ingredients.  Then you mix the dry ingredients together in the mixer and pour the WET ingredients into the dry rather than the usual other way around. 
It led to a nice dough that was very easy to work with; not wet like the other molasses cookie recipe I have. Another plus to this dough...no chill time!  Just be sure to set your timer...you'll have molasses-snaps if you don't! 

Molasses-Sugar Cookies from Southern Living Incredible Cookies
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup sugar, for rolling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Melt shortening in a saucepan over low heat.  Remove from heat and cool.  Stir in the sugar, molasses and egg.  In a mixer bowl, combine dry ingredients through cloves.  Gradually add the sugar mixture, beating on medium speed until blended.  Make 1-inch balls with the dough and roll each ball in the 1/4 cup sugar.  Place balls on baking sheet or stone.  Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (nine was best for me).  Remove from oven and then to cooling rack to cool.  Enjoy!

No comments: