Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pancakes with a Sous Chef and Photographer

When discussing what we liked at a local restaurant that serves brunch on Saturday and Sunday, D revealed that he likes chocolate chip pancakes.  So, last week, I went to his house and made breakfast for dinner.  Little did I know that I would have a sous chef in Miss K.  And even more to my surprise was that I suddenly had a photographer!

First off, this is the best pancake recipe ever...it's Daddy's.  Secondly, pancakes really ended up being a good toddler sous chef dish...until it came time to cook them on the hot griddle...had a few squeals until Miss Sous Chef was distracted enough not to care!

  I put raspberries in mine and D had chocolate chips in his.  So, confession time...I've never really eaten chocolate chip pancakes!  Strawberry, blueberry...yes. 

And I've MADE chocolate chip pancakes but never eaten them.  Per D, no syrup needed.  So, I tried!  He's right! No syrup needed.  It was pretty good.  Not saying I'm going to convert my fruit to chocolate...but still good.  As to Miss K, she was a fan of the chocolate chips and the syrup...with a few bites on pancake thrown in.  :-) Now, heat up your griddle, grab your favorite sous chef, and cook something yummy!  Here's the recipe if you're in the mood for pancakes!
Daddy's Pancakes
1+ cups flour
1 T baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 T sugar
1 egg
2 T oil
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup milk - I added more...probably about 2-3 tablespoons
splash of vanilla, I don't know how much, just put some in
Add ins - fruit, chocolate chips, etc.

Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and milks.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a fork. 

Add more milk to get the desired consistency.  You want it easily pourable but not runny.  While you are making the batter, heat a griddle to medium high heat...when you sprinkle drops of water on the griddle, it should sizzle but not immediately evaporate.  Using a 1/4-1/3 cup measure, pour batter on the griddle.  At this time, put your add-ins on if you're using them.  Wait for bubbles to appear on the top and to see the edges of the pancake start to cook.  When you see this, you're ready to flip the pancakes.  Then cook on the second side until the outside has the desired golden color.  Remove to a plate and butter immediately.  Enjoy with whatever topping you want and people you love!  Don't forget to let your sous chef have some! ;-)

5 comments:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Love the mini pancakes for your sous chef. My Dad always used to call those "dollar pancakes", and he'd make a few of them to eat before the rest of the pancakes so that I would stay away from the griddle. Mmmm...now I feel like pancakes.

Erica said...

YUM! Homemade pancakes are the best! And so good for dinner. I always do nana and chocolate chips :)Love that the kiddo helped!

B Nettles said...

Wow, you're doing 1 T of sugar? That's a lot. I'm currently doing a little less, maybe 1/2 T. I need to make two batches: a 1 T and a 1/2 T batch and taste them.

B Nettles said...

Another variation. If you stay with 1 cup flour/half cup buttermilk/half cup milk balance (plus the other ingredients) and don't add extra milk, and let it sit a few minutes, it thickens into a thick batter. Scoop out 1/3 cup and spread it for a thick fluffy pancake. The recipe will make about 6 of these, with a few dollar cakes left over.

Unknown said...

That's what my recipe from you said, Daddy! You must have changed what you do. See what your experiment shows.