Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Green Beans Take 1 - Lemon Style


I have changed my format in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. The color is supposed to be pink but I think it looks purplish. Oh, well! I like it!

When I was little, my brother and I, like most children, didn't like eating our vegetables. So, my mother came up with a brilliant plan that I'm sure I will use with my children...we had to eat as many of the vegetable (carrots, green beans, etc) as we were old. That is, if I was six, I had to eat six green beans. It worked...we knew the rules and followed them! When I was in fifth grade we move to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan for a year. It is a republic of the former Soviet Union. Needless to say they had lots of potatoes but lacked in the department of green beans. Well, my brother HATED green beans. After a year of none, I think the taste grew on him and they are now his favorite veggie. So, if your want your kids to eat vegetables either make them eat their age or take them away for a year...it might grow on them!

Last week, I tried a new recipe (to be posted soon) and decided that I wanted green beans. They are not really inseason here any more, so I gave in to canned beans. Later I'll make a yummy dish of green beans with mushrooms, but today this will have to work! Anyway, I decided, after pouring off the liquid that I needed something to give a little moisture, so I added lemon juice! I put too much but it was a good flavor! Because of their great health properties, this is my easy entry for Sweetnicks ARF-5-A-Day Tuesday!

Quick Green Beans
1 can green beans, drained
garlic powder
onion flakes
Natures Seasoning
Lemon juice (about 1 T)

Pour green beans in a skillet on medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle to taste the garlic powder, onion flakes, and Natures Seasoning. Add lemon juice. Cook until beans are heated through or to the texture you desire. I like mine pretty soft, but then again I do live in the South!

4 comments:

Annie said...

I like your new format!

I love green beans and I like them soft too!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I love those Italian green beans. I prefer my green beans pretty soft too.

Unknown said...

Annie - Thanks! I think I may keep it, although the original change was for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Paula - I usually use cut green beans, but I had 2 cans that I need to try to use. I still have one. Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes softer green beans!

Anonymous said...

I love green beans and make them often. I haven't tried them with lemon juice yet, so I'm going to do this. Another question - what is Natures Seasoning? Just a mixed, all-purpose seasoning?

I'm full of questions today! Love the pink color in honor of Breast Cancer awareness!