Saturday, September 23, 2006

Study Treats take 2

Well, Monday and Tuesday are test days for the M1's. So, being the good buddy that I am, I made them study cookies again! I had some Reese's BP cups, so I decided to make a recipes from The Cookie Bible. It is made to be giant cookies but I made normal sized cookies. They turned out all right but weren't my favorite.

One thing that I think is essential to making a good cookie is to cream the butter and sugar thoroughly. This takes several minutes. So, put them in the bowl, turn it on a medium speed and walk away. Just let it go for several minutes, like five to ten! It should produce a smooth, creamy mixture. Then you're ready to put everything else in. Do NOT mix for long with the flour. This can make the dough tough.

I'm trying to decide what I would do differently in these cookies. I might add more peanut butter to the dough or I might just make a sugar cookie dough or chocolate chip cookie dough and substitube the peanut butter cups instead. These were good, just not exactly what I prefer. I think they were still enjoyed, one of the guys told me that he actually got to eat all of them...last time he left the bag on his desk and returned to an empty HALF bag. Turns out his dog got ahold of it and ate the remaining cookies AND half the sandwich bag! OOPS!

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies , The Cookie Bible 2005
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 (I used more) Reese's Peanut butter cups miniatures, cut into fourths

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Beat butter, sugar, and peanut butter in medium bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture; blend well. Drop by level 1/4 cup measurements onto ungreased cookie sheets, three cookies per sheet. Push about seven pieces of peanut butter cup into each cookie. Fatten cookie slightly.

Bake 15-17 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Centers will be pale and slightly soft. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove to wire rack cool completely. Makes 9 cookies.

OR

Follow above instructions through flour. Then add PB cup pieces to dough and stir in carefully. Drop onto cookie sheet by tablespoons. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Makes 36 cookies.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Mmmm, I think these look marvelous. I have been craving so many sweets that I might just have to give these a try. My daughter wants cupcakes, so if I come across a good recipe, I will forward to you.

Unknown said...

Linda - Thanks! I hope you like them. Cupcake recipes would be fun. I have actually been wanting to make some recently.