Thursday, September 14, 2006

Study Cookies




A couple of weeks ago, the M1's (first year medical students) had their first tests. As M2's, we have an M1 buddy. I have a girl from my college. There are also a couple of guys from MC there, but their buddies are guys. SO, I decided to give all of them some study cookies the week befroe their test! I decided to do something idfferent from chocolate chip cookies...oatmeal scotchies! I looked and looked for a different recipe, but NO cookbooks (at least that I've seen), not even my cookie book!, have a recipe for these cookies. So, I used my general recipe with a few changes that ended up being good.

I've noticed that these cookies tend to be a little dry. I do use margarine because I don't like the way butter bakes. It tends to make the cookies really flat, and I DON'T like that! Anyway, I decided to use a combination of fats...and it worked! These were NOT flat, NOT dry, and didn't stick to the pan/stone! So, if you think the recipe looks strange, it's because of the modification I made in this area!

Oatmeal Scotchies
1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
4 T butter
2 T shortening (no trans-fat version)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 T water (if using all margarine I skip this, but used it here and it worked)
2 cups unsifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soad
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, this was my addition)
1 1/2 cups quick oats (I used old fashioned and it worked fine)
2 cups (I use a little more than 1 cup, 2 is just too much) butterscotch morsels

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F. Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and water. Let this go for a few minutes to make sure all the sugar disolves. This is ESSENTIAL to good cookies! Combine dry ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop onto pan or stone about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

YIELD: about 4 dozen

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look so good! I have never actually heard of oatmeal scotchies, but I love that they have butterscotch chips in them. I never make oatmeal cookies because I discovered my hubby doesn't like things with raisins, and almost every oatmeal cookie recipe has raisins. You got me curious and I even looked in an old cookbook I have (1001 Cookie Recipes) and there was not one listed as scotchies. There is one that has choc chips and it says you can sub butterscotch, but it only uses shortening, no butter or margarine.

Yummy, I wish I had a couple of these right now! I know your study buddies were so grateful to get homemade cookies, how sweet :)

Anonymous said...

What a great friend you are to do that for them! I used to have a recipe for oatmeal scotchies but haven't seen it in forever....I think it used to also be on the package of butterscotch chips but that was probably a long time ago.

Erika W. said...

I love oatmeal scotchies! I always use the recipe on the back of the package. I will be trying yours very soon, it's been awhile since I made these.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you used all brown sugar. When we lived in Nor. VA there was a lady who made CChip cookies and used almost all brown sugar...boy, were they good!

Have you made this particular recipe for me yet? I can't wait!

BTW, from how high should you drop them onto the stone? That will affect how much they spread. :)

Unknown said...

Stacy - You should try these out on your hubby! They're not too oatmeal-y and have no raisins!

Gail - I don't think this is actually off the back of the package, but it may be the same recipe.

Erika - The only place, other than my recipe, I can find a recipe for these IS from the back of the package for the morsels! I only changed this a little.

Daddy - You are so funny! :-) Drop from 1 cm above the stone. This should help them retain their shape but still maintain the characterization of a "drop cookie." Aren't those CCC's Betty Ross cookies, that I changed to mountain cookies? Oh, this is the recipe I alway use except with the changes to the butter. That makes it better. I'll have to make it for you. I miss cooking for you...I have things I want to try on you, but you're not here!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I couldn't get into your blog all day (Blogger!).........

These are almost the same exact cookies I was going to make this weekend! Alas, the only butterscotch chips my grocery store carries are processed on the same machine as peanuts, probably the same as any butterscotch chips I can get my hands on, so I won't be making these.

Make your daddy my cc chip cookies - they use all dark brown sugar.

Unknown said...

Paula - Sorry to hear about the BS-chips. The brown sugar really does make the cookies a little more moist!

***If anyone knows of a place to get these WITHOUT being used in the same pot as nuts, let us know!***

Toni said...

Yummm! Those look so good!

Unknown said...

Y&O - Thanks! If you like butterscotch, you should try them sometime. It's a really nice change from chocolate chip!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I haven't had a oatmeal scotchie in forever, but they are so good I should go make them.

Anonymous said...

Scotchies are one of my MOST FAVORITE cookie!!!!

Mmmmmm.....I can almost taste 'em!

Unknown said...

Peabody - Join in the fun and do it! I like these as a break from something with chocolate. I'm one of those girls who could almost do without chocolate.

Kate - I'm with you on that one!

Linda said...

Oatmeal Scotchies are one of my Christmas cookie favorites. The flavor is awesome and they are so easy to make. My husband looks forward to them every year.

Erika W. said...

Well, I am now copying your recipe to try. Ever since I saw your recipe, I've been craving Oatmeal Scotchies. Well, yesterday I whipped up a batch per the package. Now I remember why I don't make them. They stick to the pan, get super spread out and crumbly, and well, they taste good, but look terrible. Yours look much better. Thanks for tweaking the recipe. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Unknown said...

Linda - I'm glad that I have people who agree that these are great cookies!

Erika - Yay!!! I hope these turn out better for you. I've had trouble with cookies sticking to the pan sometimes, too. It's strange because some come off better if you remove immediately and others better if you let them cool. Who knows? Anyway, let me know how they turn out for you!

MyHealthJourney said...

I make the scotchies from the recipe on the back of Nestle's chips. Yummy. But mine always come out flat, so flat they fall apart. They are still delish though. Does anyone have experience with this and maybe a fix? I am going to try to version of the cookie, since yours look wonderful.

Unknown said...

Sarah - I'm pretty sure that the recipe I used and modified was the one off the bag, too. I had the SAME problems...flat and too crispy. So, I changed the fat ratios some and it seems to have worked. I've had this outcome two times in a row with the modifications.