Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Recipe Poll...Lemon Grass


Just a quick post during my lunch break. One of the items that I purchased at the Farmer's Market this weekend was lemon grass. I saw this dry looking plant and didn't know what it was. I thought maybe some aberrant variety of sugar can or something. So, I asked the lady at the stand and she told me it was lemon grass. Upon rubbing the pieces together, it gives off a strong lemon scent...refreshing! I couldn't resist it and got some, not knowing how to use it. THe only hint I had was that the vendor uses it on chicken, fish, and in soup.

I used it on fish Sunday night not really knowing how. I just broke it to release the oils and place a piede under, inside, and on top of the fillet and baked. It was really good. Gave a nice lemon flavor without the stickiness of lemon juice!

Anyway, here is my poll...Do you have any recipes that use lemon grass? If so, could ya give me some ideas? If not, find one, try it out, and let me know how it goes! I really want to use this in more than just fish!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks tasty. Like you, I'm a novice when it comes to lemongrass! Sorry to be of no help...

Anonymous said...

I also can be of no help.....I've heard of it but have never seen it or used it before! I'm pretty sure I have no recipes that call for it either.

Annie said...

Sorry no lemongrass recipes here either. Wish I did, it sound delish.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Lots of Thai dishes use lemon grass. I just saw a recipe this past week that used it but I can't recall what it was. If I remember, I'll let you know.

Crystal said...

Yum - I love lemongrass and have a good recipe if you eat beef (or you could sub chicken I'm sure)

Lemongrass Beef
(8 servings)


2 lbs. sirloin tip roast
½ c. chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
1/3 c. chopped shallots
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp salt
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Serrano chiles, seeded and chopped

Cover roast with plastic wrap; freeze for 30 minutes to ease cutting. Remove beef from freezer and cut beef horizontally into 1/8-inch thick slices.

Combine lemongrass and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth (about 1 minute). Combine beef and lemongrass mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.

Prepare grill. Remove beef from bag; discard marinade. Place beef on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until desired degree of doneness.


This recipe was made once by us and it was so good. Plus, everything smelled so fresh. Good luck!
-Crystal