Friday, September 08, 2006

Pluots


I have done no cooking this week. My roommate cooked Thursday and all other days I've had leftovers that I brought from my trip home. I haven't really had time to cook as I've been studying for my tests next week and have had several LONG days of class. Just wanted to let you know about a yummy hybrid fruit that we bought at Sam's this weekend. If you've been to Sam's, you know that they always have samples in the food section. This day, they had a fruit to sample. I tasted it as the lady was explaining that it's a hybrid between a plum and an apricot. It is SOOOO good. Now, I've never had a fresh apricot, so I don't know what those taste like; but this did taste a lot like a plum. Try one it you get a chance...it's called a Pluot!

10 comments:

Crystal said...

I've only tried these once and I don't think they were ripe enough or something was off. I should try again!

-Crystal

Toni said...

I'm just exploring food blogs and found yours linked through someone else.

Anyway, I just bought these from our local co-op and tried my first one today. They were great! I did a bit of research and they are 3/4 plum and 1/4 apricot.

:)

(P.S. My actual blog is not a food blog yet!)

Unknown said...

Crystal - Were they crunchy and sour? If so, my guess would be they weren't ready to eat! Do try again.

Y - Thanks for dropping by! That ratio would explain why they taste a lot like plums! I really enjoyed them and don't think they were any more expensive than buying an equal amount of plums would be @1.80 per pound!

Toni said...

I've never had a fresh plum or a fresh apricot, so I guess I don't really have a comparison.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I haven't seen these in Sam's, but I have seen them in Kroger. Not knowing what they were, I didn't want to risk trying them. Now, I think I might... Thanks for the info! :)

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me above, with the sticky fingers!

Unknown said...

Stacy - I had seen them as well in Kroger. I guess it's a good thing that Sam's gives out samples! :-) Do try!

Annie said...

I saw these on sale in my local grocery store flyer and knew I wanted to try them. I love apricots and plums, so of course I would like these. The only thing is I forgot to buy them went I went shopping. Duh. Oh well, next trip.

Unknown said...

Annie - Oh no!!! That sounds like something i would do as well! Put them on your list for next time. I really like mine...had one at lunch today!

Anonymous said...

I've tried these several times, and like you, love them. Yum. If only their season were a little longer! :)