Friday, September 01, 2006

Maybe Not


I'm supposed to tell you about things that worked AND things that didn't...right? Okay, here's something that didn't quite work. My mom has a recipe for spoon bread and chili. I really enjoy, for some strange reason, the texture of the "spoon bread." Maybe it's because I'm from the South and a grits texture is something the "everyone" likes. Anyway, I saw a recipe in cooking light for a roasted squash pimento cheese spoon bread. Decided to try it. I mean, I like eating the pimentos out of green olives (!), I like spoon bread, and squash...I could eat it every day!

Well........I didn't so much like the flavor of this recipe. Honestly, I've decided that it's the flavor of the pimentos that I don't quite relish. I think I may have put too much garlic powder on the squash as well. It was an interesting idea, and I might use the base again with different veggies or meat, but it wasn't quite my cup of tea...which must be spiced as I don't like any other tea!
:-)

In honor of the Labor Day weekend, I may let you see the famous chocolate chip cookie recipe. We'll see how I feel after my drive and Saturday with my mom! If not this weekend, then later! Keep your eyes peeled.

Pimento Cheese Spoon Bread with Roasted Squash
Cooking Light, July, 1995

1 cup water
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated fresh onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimento, drained
3 egg whites (at room temperature)
1 tablespoon sugarRoasted Summer SquashVegetable
cooking spray

Combine water and cornmeal in a medium saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in milk and next 7 ingredients (milk through pimento). Set cornmeal mixture aside.


Beat the egg whites at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into the cornmeal mixture; gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Fold in the Roasted Summer Squash. (At this point I added some extra cheese on the top.)

Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until set.

Note: Prepare the Roasted Summer Squash first.
Yield: 4 servings
NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 182(33% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 3.4g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 4g; CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 164mg; SODIUM 371mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22g

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't work out... Like you, I thought this recipe sounded fantastic... Oops! :)

Unknown said...

V - I was disappointed but may try later with other flavors. Did you try this recipes?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

It needs more cheese!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I just posted on of my failures. It's nice to know that not everything works out perfect...too bad it is a waste of ingedients. :(

Unknown said...

Paula - I added more cheese and liked that! I think that I just didn't care for some of the seasoning/pimento flavor! Cheese is always good though. I wonder if feta would be good.

Peabody - Thanks for dropping by. I don't like it when something fails...it puts me in a bad mood. However, I guess it's not a total waste of ingredients...if we didn't ever try things or find flops, we wouldn't find those really delicious things either!