Monday, September 25, 2006

Five a Day


I am writing the post at the same time as I am listening to a lecture to write the notes. Although this takes time, I'm getting paid to do it. I've had this recipe from Cooking Light for a while and have decided that I need to try it (along with many other recipes I've pulled from my magazines!). This is for roasted cauliflower. It uses lots of fresh herbs (which I had NONE of). I recently got a basil plant from a friend, so I used some of that along with dried herbs.

I think this has potential but I'm not sure I liked the addition of cheese and lemon juice at the END of the roasting. I might add the cheese and maybe lemon rind at the same time I add the herbs. In any case, this is a very healthful food and is fit for Sweetnicks ARF-Five-a-Day Tuesday. Check her sight for more delicious treats.

Roasted Cauliflower with Fresh Herbs and Parmesan
Cooking Light, holday season 2005
12 cups cauliflower flortest (about 2 heads ) I only used one and, thus, halved the recipe
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chiopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place caluiflower in a large roasting pan or on jelly roll pan. Drizzle with oil, toss well to coat. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring every 5 minutes (I didn't stir). Sprinkle with parsley, thyme, tarragon, and garlic. bake 5 minutes. Combine cauliflower mixture, cheese, and remaining ingredients ina large bowl. Toss well to combine. Yield: 8 servings of 1 cup each.

Calories 89; fat 3.5 g; Protein 5.2 g; Carb 12 g; Fiber 5.4 g; Chol 2mg; Iron 1.1 mg; Sodium 251 mg; Calcium 83mg

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

Sounds really yummy to me!
I've been eating cauliflower all week. I microwaved and then roasted mine in olive oil, garlic powder, dried italian seasoning and salt& pepper. The parmesan cheese and lemon would have been a nice addition.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Yum! I love roasted cauliflower.

Unknown said...

Annie - I love cauliflower. It was really good but I couldn't really taste the parmesan. I think that was because of how it was added. i would probably add for the last 5 cooking minutes.

Paula - Me too!