Monday, September 18, 2006

A Berry Good Muffin


Last week I decided to try a recipe from Conscious Cuisine by Cary Neff. He is a chef who works at the Mirival spa and has good tasting healthy recipes. I thought it was a pretty cookbook and that I might use it when I bought it. This is only the second recipe I have done from it, but both of them have been very good!

He gives a basic batter recipe for a low-fat muffin and then you can choose what you add in . I was in the bood for a fruit muffin but fruit has gotten expensive around here. So, I used some frozen blueberries and the few strawberries I had left (before they went bad, I think I had forgotten they were in there!). These muffins ended up being really good. I only made slight modifications because of what I had on hand. Because blueberries are full of antioxidants, this is my entry for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday!

Low-Fat Muffins - Strawberry and Blueberry variety
Conscious Cuisine
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch sea salt (I used regular)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large egg whites
2/3 cup fat-free milk
2/3 cup plain, fat-free yogurt (I used vanilla)
1 1/4 cups raw can sugar (I only used 2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon pureed banana (I didn't have this, so I omitted)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I probably used more)
1 cup blueberries
5 sliced strawberries (that's all I had!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg. In a separate bowl, mix together egg whites, milk, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; pour in the egg mixture and stir until just moistened. Stir in blueberries and strawberries.

Scoop 1/3 cup batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 30-35 minutes (I checked at 25 minutes and they were ready) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look and sound delicious

Crystal said...

They look great and fruity. You're definitely into desserts/treats lately, huh? Just means more to share with others right?!

-Crystal

Unknown said...

Terry - Thanks! They are good and actually fairly good for you with the whole wheat and fruit (and my decreased sugar!).

Crystal - I have been baking quite a bit. Last week I had tests so I didn't really make much real food even though I baked. Baking is a stress relief for me! Hopefully I'll make more real food soon...I did last night, coming soon! You are right...DEFINITELY more to share with others. THat's usually what I do with my baking, GIVE IT AWAY!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Frozen blueberries are usually tastier, IMO. At least I haven't been able to get my hands on any really, really good fresh blueberries in a very long time. I like the frozen wild ones.

Unknown said...

Paula - I can get good berries early in the summer but by late August, they are either expensive or no good. I really prefer fresh ones but at this point, frzen is better than none.

Annie said...

I love healthy muffin recipes. This one sounds really good. When I eat muffins for breakfast I don't want to feel like I'm eating a piece of cake.LOL!

Anonymous said...

These look good Claire! Did you use whole wheat pastry flour? I've had several recipes in the past that called for it but I haven't been able to find it, benefits of small town life I guess! So was curious if you had found it and where.

Unknown said...

Annie - Totally agree! I really prefer muffins at dinner or for a snack than for breakfast.

Gail - I actually didn't use whole wheat pastry flour, just regular whole wheat, but I just copied the recipe as stated. I would LOVE to find some and if I do I'll let you know where. There are some flours that are finer than others. King Arthur is good as is Pilsbury. The Hodgestones (I don't know, something that starts with an H) Mill is a little more substantial and probably not great for "tender baking."

Unknown said...

Harmonia - thanks for stopping by. Go ahead and link me.