Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Another Salsa


When we went to the Farmer's Market, I decided that I wanted to make salsa. This time, I used a recipe given to us by a neighbor in our first neighborhood. This recipe has an immediate spicyness to it rather than a lingering punch, which I prefer. I'd rather taste the spice, not live with it!

As tomatoes have lycopene, they are great for you! This is my entry for Sweetnicks ARF Tuesday! Check her site for other healthy recipes. Load up on this salsa. It's great on meats, salads, veggies, and, of course, chips!

Salsa
1 14.5 oz can Del-Monte tomatoes Mexican recipe (I used 3 chopped fresh tomatoes!)
1 10 oz. can of Rotel
1/2 medium onion
1/4 bunch cilantro, take the leaves off the stem, it will blend better
1 T garlic (I used 3- cloves, minced)
1 t salt, pepper (I didn't have black, so I used 1/3 teaspoon Cayenne)
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (ESSENTIAL!)

Put all ingredients into food processor and blend! Put salsa into a jar and refrigerate...or enjoy right away!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Paula - I know, it sounds horrible...We had black peppercorns for fresh ground but none that was already ground and I didn't want to hand grind a WHOLE teaspoon. Plus, I figured that the cayenne would be really good, nice heat!

Anonymous said...

I. love. fresh. salsa!

I could just devour that with a big ol' bag of chips! I really like your blog too, and will check back to keep up with what you are doing!

Anonymous said...

A quick method to grind just a small amount of fresh peppercorns is to place the amount on the counter and crush them gently under the bottom of a saute pan.